Mask Fashion

Emily DeSouza, Editor-in-Chief

COVID-19 has been making an impact on our world for over two years now. 

With notoriously expensive designer brands selling over-priced face masks, influencers selling them as merchandise, and celebrities setting trends with specific styles of masks, it is no surprise that it impacts the modern fashion industry as well. 

When speaking to multiple students, I asked if any of them would spend more than $20 on a single mask if it was from a designer brand. Unsurprisingly, the general consensus was “no.” 

Now I will do just about anything in the name of fashion. I will not, however, spend $20 on a face mask just because it’s from a designer brand. I could probably buy more for less at a Walgreens near my house. 

Also, fancy clothes are rarely comfortable. I’d rather wear a paper mask on my face than something that makes me both sweat and suspicious about how when I breathe in the air it feels a little too fresh, almost like how it would if I were wearing a mask that doesn’t work properly.

It didn’t take long after COVID started for people to start making cute little masks that serve no protective purpose. 

Along with those masks came gaiters also known as the mask you wear if you don’t like masks … or being healthy. 

While it seems like a newer idea to the United States, masks first became of common use in Japan many years ago. Back in the 1870s Japan where laborers would wear masks to protect themselves from dust.

Come 1918 with influenza on the spread, and it is said that posters were put up encouraging Japanese citizens to wear masks. With another spread of influenza in 1934 masks became a widespread demand of the people of Japan. After this, people began to wear masks when feeling ill to be polite and considerate toward other people. 

This begs the question… when COVID becomes less of a risk, will wearing masks as a nicety become a world-wide trend?