New Bedford High School, History of this Building

Centuries ago, the building for New Bedford High was on Charles St. In 1827 when there were less than a thousand students, much like New Bedford at the time. As time pushed forward, the city grew, and so, the building also needed to grow as well, which is when the building got moved in 1909 to County St. Until it broke capacity for students once more and was moved to Hathaway Blvd. The name, New Bedford High School, is almost 200 hundred years old, while the building is only 50. This current school building has held a long history in a short amount of time.

As the building experiences new renovations like the kitchen and the pool, a lot of the history that was made within the walls will slowly be broken away. So much so to the point that not many current students know the history of this building.

Most students know about this trophy display case for the Music Department of the school, that shows more recent trophies being within the last 10 years.

But within D-block the music department alone has two large display cases that are filled from top to bottom with trophies all won within the history of the building. All ranging from gold trophies to gold medals.

Even the art department has made great contributions to the walls of this school, multiple murals painted around the building, the art made by students covering the walls. Even new murals being added to this day.

The history of this school are written all over the walls. Even being retold by former students who are now current teachers. Like Mr. Sylvia and Mrs. Caton who speak on their experience in the high school any time they’re asked. Talking about the community and comradery within the school. Even some students have done their own research within the school, and found out that our school band was asked to perform in front of hundreds of people multiple times. Having been considered one of the best music departments in the whole country.

So next time you’re walking around the building, take a second to truly look around and indulge in the long history of this building.