Entertainment to watch during quarantine

The best shows and movies to watch while stuck at home

Marissa Sebastiao, Managing Editor

Dickinson (Free now on Apple TV +) “A historical comedy-drama series about Emily Dickinson as she uses her outsider’s perspective to explore the constraints of society, gender, and family in the 19th century.” 

This show is based on Emily Dickinson and her life as it uses her poems within the series. What makes this show great is the use of modern slang and the music selection that is merged with the historical plot. I laughed a lot with this show and really enjoyed watching it. What makes the show even better is the fact that the amazing Hailee Steinfeld not only stars as Emily Dickinson but is also an executive producer of the show. Steinfeld really brings to life a cool side of Emily Dickinson where she is sarcastic but also passionate about getting her work out to the public as she fights many adversities.

Ozark (Netflix): “A financial adviser drags his family from Chicago to the Missouri Ozarks, where he must launder $500 million in five years to appease a drug boss. ” 

This show is good for its suspense and thrill. Throughout each episode you wonder how Jason Bateman’s character will pull through certain circumstances. The writers really brought the plot twists and did an amazing job with casting. 

Money Heist (Netflix): “Eight thieves take hostages and lock themselves in the Royal Mint of Spain as a criminal mastermind manipulates the police to carry out his plan.” 

This show is popular worldwide as everyone is talking about it. The writing of this show is clever as you can’t fathom how a certain character is going to get out of a predicament but still sit there waiting for the train wreck. There is a lot of irony in this show as you start to see the public support the criminals during the heist. It has a good story line overall with lots of plot twists thrown in.

All American (A CW networked show that is now on Netflix): “Culture clashes and brewing rivalries test a teen football player from South Los Angeles when he’s recruited to the Beverly Hills High School team.” 

This show is binge-worthy. There are only two seasons so far and the CW has renewed it for a third season. I was able to finish both seasons in three days, so it is worth your time. This show is more than just a football show. It is a show that is based on true events as it highlights major issues that occurred within football player Spencer James’s life. What I love most about this show is how well directed and written it is. There are crazy plot twists, really emotional moments that have you sobbing and moments that make you feel like you can do anything. This show does an amazing job of exploring each individual character’s struggles and personality. The show has many things that make it great, but I think the thing that makes it extra special is the diverse cast. This cast works well with each other and really make their individual characters special in their own ways. The soundtrack for this show is amazing as well. 

On My Block (Netflix): “In a rough inner- city Los Angeles neighborhood, four smart, funny and streetwise teens find their lifelong friendship tested as they begin high school.” 

This show is also binge-worthy. It has three seasons so far, but for each season the story line gets crazier. While it does cover some major issues, it also has a balance of mystery and humor. There is also tragedy, romance, and friendship within this show that keeps viewers entertained till the very end of each season. This show covers topics that teens go through in their daily lives as it highlights family issues, growing up in dangerous neighborhoods, and the struggles of balancing school, home issues, and your friendships.  The writers did an amazing job of touching on a lot of sensitive topics such as poverty, race, gangs, gun violence and social status. This show is fun to watch from the amazing cast to the great writing and to the humor within tense situations. This should definitely be part of your watch list if it is not already. 

The Circle (Netflix): “Status and strategy collide in this social experiment and competition show where online players flirt, befriend and catfish their way toward $100,000.” 

This show is an interesting mix of reality shows “Catfish” and “Big Brother.”  I never intended to watch this show when it was first released but then my sisters recommended it to me. After one episode, I found myself letting Netflix play the next episode because I was intrigued to find out who was going to be kicked out of the house next. It was also fun for me to watch because I found myself conflicted about who I wanted to win the show. Every new episode I was rooting for someone different. I found myself laughing so much, and it made me reflect on social media and how people present themselves for the world to see. There are crazy twists thrown into the game and you start to relate to the characters in some ways. I had fun watching the first season of this show and can’t wait to see if I will love the second season. 

Love Is Blind (Netflix): “Nick and Vanessa Lachey host this social experiment where single men and women look for love and get engaged, all before meeting in person.” 

If you are the kind of person that loves watching reality television, then this show is a perfect addition to your watch list. It is a different take on dating as it leaves its audiences questioning if they can fall in love with someone without seeing them.  

Onward (Disney +): “Teenage elf brothers Ian and Barley embark on a magical quest to spend one more day with their late father. ”

Let’s just say that I am the biggest Disney/Pixar fan, so when I saw the trailer for this movie I was intrigued. This movie was an emotional roller coaster as there were moments where I teared up and laughed.  Also if you love Tom Holland and Chris Pratt, then you should totally watch this. 

High School Musical: The Musical The Series (Disney +): “Set at East High School, ‘High School Musical: The Musical: The Series’ introduces new members of the drama club and their faculty advisers as they work their way toward the opening night of their school’s first-ever production of ‘High School Musical: The Musical.'”

When I first heard that there was going to be a spin off show for the High School Musical trilogy, I was skeptical because I didn’t want the movies of my childhood to be ruined. When I found out that I could have Disney + for free for a year, I was really happy because it meant that I could relive some of the happiest moments of my childhood. Once I opened the app I decided to be open-minded to the show and watched the first episode. The funny thing is I finished the first episode and loved it. I loved it so much that it felt like dread for me to wait until the next Friday for a new episode. The concept of the show was interesting to me as it was not what I was originally expecting. They didn’t mess up the originals or try to one up them. The show is filled with humor and friendships and explores real issues that teenagers go through. The cast is filled with extremely talented teenagers and the original songs for this show are great. I think this show does a good job of not only bringing in audiences that grew up with the movies but also introducing the magic of these songs and the iconic moments of the movies to new audiences.

Fractured (Out now on Netflix): “After his wife and injured daughter disappear from an ER, a man conducts a panicked search and becomes convinced the hospital is hiding something.” 

It is a mind-blowing movie because you don’t know what to believe as you watch. For all the thrillers out there that are predictable and reminiscent of similar plots found in other mystery thrillers, this film is worth the spot in your watch list. This movie leaves viewers puzzled and some angry in a good way like my father after seeing the ending.